Monday, August 23, 2021

Vampire (an oldie and a re-post)


I am dead thirsty. I lap up the life of others, never quenching nor satisfying that longing within me for more. I am a vampire, always in quest of. I am enslaved by desperate pursuit. Ravenous and manic, I seek you. I come for you because I need the life in your veins. I need.

I can’t count my victims. Too many are they.

I see my next meal, a strange man on a vacant road. I approach slowly to stalk him. He is a lighted figure in a fold of darkness, as if he holds the sun within himself. His silhouette stands out against the evening. His mere existence is an annoyance to me. He neither cowers nor defies as I approach. He meets me eye-to-eye. It is infuriating.

His face is weathered, beaten and bruised, but serene. His hands scarred, horrific torment have they endured or given. Perhaps I have met a monster like me. I size him up. I can take him. The blood on his hands looks like it has been there for an eternity, though it has the stench of freshness.

He appears to know me. At the very least, he knows what I am about to do. And he doesn’t seem to mind. I attack with precision, injecting my fangs and drawing the blood. Slowly, deliberately, deliciously I drink in the depth of life from his neck. Almost instantly I realize this lifeblood is different. A surge, more like a punch, hits me head-on somehow. I reel, a bit, but return to the drink, drawing in its warm fulfillment. But again, it strikes me. It reaches me, deep within and takes me.

My limbs, my muscles, my entire being staggers and halts like a rushing freight train suddenly stopped by unseen hands. The cells of my body rebel, turning against me, and begin to transform. They are becoming something else.

As if I have no control over my being, they twist and coil without my direction or input. I am being remade. I find myself eagerly accepting this new thing, hungering and thirsting for it with all the desperation of my previous pursuit. Everything within me cries out. Astonished, I feel a presence seeping into me, filling my hunger. I am bloated with it, round and plump with this life. My thirst, palpable and parched, is satiated as if with a flood. I am overwhelmed.

I look into the eyes of my victim, a suddenly strong and invincible presence. His eyes are the color of me. His hands and arms around me, as though I were the prey, he does not look away. And in that moment I realize the blood on his hands is his own. This cannot be. A mythical creature, this; I do not believe in Jesus.

When he spoke he said my name as if he'd known it forever. I can’t tell you what that did to me. But I can tell you I will never thirst again, not ever.

I wrote this in 2008. It appeared then on a now closed site, Gather.com.

66 comments:

  1. Hello, Sandi! I enjoyed your story. You are a great writer. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you reposted this, as I hadn't "known" you then. And the photo is perfect for the story as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good! I liked images and characters. And how the plot develops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some great writing Sandi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, thanks for reposting I never saw it before, your story is excellent and that picture is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story and the b&w image fits it well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story.
    With Jesus none of us need thirst again. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow. I am in awe of this powerful message. At first I wanted to look away, but then I kept reading, and found such life and beauty written there...Powerful indeed!! Praise be to Jesus...His blood satisfies the longing of our souls....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful writing! I have not read this before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandi,
    interesting story. Beautiful story.
    Sandi, do you write books?
    Blessed day.
    Lucja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucja-Maria! I write the beginning of books, but don’t finish them. ;-)

      Delete
  11. Brilliant and powerful writing. I kinda think it's time for you to FINISH some of your book beginnings, don't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. Hahha! You are probably right. :)

      Delete
  12. I'd not read this before.
    I enjoyed it, thanks.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful ethereal BW shot!

    Happy Weekend to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very different and powerful approach.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was a compelling story, Sandi! Thanks for reposting it, because I hadn't seen it before!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sandi! I think I read this before? But I so enjoyed reading it again. I wondered if the man would have been holy, never thinking it would be Jesus himself.
    You really do have a wonderful way with writing. Maybe it's time to think about that book?
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was captivating! You should try to get it published!!

    I saw your kind words on my post about being still to hear God. I am so sorry to hear you are ill!! Try some throat coat comfort tea with licorice root. Really knocks out a sore throat. And thieves by young living!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty amazing! While you pack a punch with your short posts, this longer one has a bite as well! Powerful indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a superb piece of work Sandi - love it. So glad you shared. Hope your day is blessed in every way. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank God for the blood of Jesus! It can make the vilest clean, praise His wonderful name, and it conquers even the most evil of all forces. He is a wonderful Savior, and I will never stop thanking Him for the sacrifice He made for my sins!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you millions times for reposting this powerful piece of writing dear Sandi!
    it is CAPTIVATING and profound !
    brilliantly written and amazingly conveyed the message!!!

    I feel great desire for reading more of your writings,so absorbing indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a splendid read, intriguing and so much more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You took me there. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Replies
    1. Glad you could comment! Not sure what happened on the other post.

      Delete
  25. I am speechless! You should finish those books you've started!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh yes, I remember this great piece! Wonderfully done! Bravo Sandi! You are quite talented. <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. The danger of digitization - many things disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow. I was not expecting the plot twist.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A story very well told Sandi. You do a great job on weaving an interesting tale.

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a great story and wonderful repost, i did not follow you then so i have never read it!! you are a talented writer!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bonjour,
    Quel talent ! Je vous félicite !
    Bisous bisous

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW, a fantastic story!! I am a huge fan of all things Gothic, especially vampire tales...so really enjoyed reading this! I love the photo too.😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  33. I enjoyed this post back in 2017 and I enjoyed it again today :)
    Many thanks for the re-post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful ending to a dark story.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful and brilliant story. Very well written.
    Hugs and all the best

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful words, "I will never thirst again." You are a wonderful story teller, Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wishing you a happy Wednesday! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete