Saturday, October 26, 2019

A Rich Man


What else is there?

Artisans painted my ceiling. I flew them in. I am a rich man. I am the epitome of success. I am philanthropic. I am loved. I am liked. Adored. Held to high esteem. I use strange words to be intriguing.

It's not enough.

Why isn't it?

I lay on my back and gaze at the sky, trying to look through it. I have a friend who suspects there is something on the other side. 

Is that where they hide enough?

In a pocket of terror, impatience, and not caring, not really worrying what will happen, in a flash, I ask. What is it? What am I on the hunt for? I shrug. And what is on the hunt for me? I laugh, outwardly, but inside I am crying. Please, God, be real.

And then, suddenly, unexpectedly, though I'd hoped, and with a flash like mine, like mine, I see.

Oh no. The simpletons can't be right. You can't be that God. Not Him!

But He is. The God of the Jews. The Christian God. Jesus. I thought I knew everything, but I did not know this. 

Finally, though, I know. And my life will never be the same overstuffed emptiness again. I won't ever be that again. I am weeping now, a mix of relieved and overwhelmed, free and aware of all that I have been freed from.

25 comments:

  1. Life will never be the same after knowing Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now he truly is rich. :) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful when Jesus comes into our heart...

    ReplyDelete
  4. truth is utterly overwhelming dear Sandi

    it leaves no room for emptiness and illusion :)
    this is beautiful phrase my friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, our treasure is in heaven.
    Blessings, Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's right! Life is never the same:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gostei do texto.
    Uma boa semana.
    Um beijo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise God! Never the same. Hallelujah!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so well written and it is so true!☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. To finally know the peace and contentment that only Jesus can give is a rich person indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God's grace is wonderful Sandi - thanks for this beautiful written post. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are blessed, and I am blessed for reading this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a blessing to really know and to follow Him instead of walking away from the knowledge of who He is and what He's done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Sandi, have you ever read the long poem "The Hound of Heaven" by Francis Thompson, a nineteenth-century, English poet? His words could be said by your storyteller. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee!

      I just looked it up. I had not read it before.

      "Ah, Fondest, Blindest, Weakest,
      I am He whom thou seekest."

      Beautiful!

      Delete