Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Different Dave

 

The destruction of a life can be quiet. You can do it yourself alone in a room. You can do it without understanding or meaning to. Where you go in your heart is more important than where you take the rest of you.


I've been listening to Johnny Cash lately. He did a version of the Depeche Mode song "Personal Jesus." Do you remember it? Reach out and touch faith. 

Do do da do do. Yeah, I'm dancing around too.


Dave Gahan is the original singer. Do you remember when this happened?




(Look at all the prayers in the comments.)


In the early and mid-90's I heard he had overdosed on heroin and nearly died more than once. In 1996 he was dead for two minutes. He described it like this:


“The first thing I realised in the hospital was that I exited my body. I was floating underneath the ceiling and could observe exactly what was happening underneath me: Paramedics were running around my body and tried to save me. I screamed that I wasn’t actually lying down there but above them. I believe it was my soul screaming which had already left my body and became a witness of what happened to my body. At that point I was clinically dead, my heart wasn’t beating. These seconds seemed like hours to me. And suddenly, there was a complete, frightening darkness around me. As if someone had turned off the light.”


He came back. 


In the video above he says at about 4:55, 

"There was something there for me, God or whatever..." Heartsmile.


What do we know about life and death? We can't add another moment no matter how hard we try and, I think, we can't take one away either, not even if we try.


Do our prayers make a difference? Look at all those people in the comment section saying they prayed for him. I did too. I think even one of them could change a life. (He's still with us.) 


What are you praying for?

Do you think you can make a difference?




33 comments:

  1. For some reason I only pray to say thank you for the many blessings in my life or for a specific thing that happened. I never ask for anything in prayers. I also pray The Lord's prayer, and the prayer from Numbers, May the Lord bless you -- I pray in Swedish, so not sure of the words in English. It has never seemed right to pray for something to ask for something. I think this is an individual thing. A choice. I don't think it's wrong to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May the Lord bless you and keep you...

      This one?

      The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. This is Aaron's blessing for Israel from Numbers 6:24-26.

      Delete
  2. Right now-I am praying for my SIL, Jason. He has brain cancer and is fighting the good fight. He has three young children that need him desperately.
    Also, praying for my BIL. He was diagnosed yesterday with incurable cancer. He is a missionary and has devoted many many year of his service to Mexico. We are so sad.
    Wonderful post here today, Sandi. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am praying now too for both of them, Diana.

      Delete
  3. I so admire those who come back from the brink as he did. I'm sure that was very difficult -- but so good. I'm praying for my friend, Diane, who is on a Covid ventilator, as you know. Thank you, Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gahann's story is both sad and frightening! I hope it turns more people to Jesus, maybe this is the reason he was brought back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is horrific and then hopeful. 💙Thanks, Ginny.

      Delete
  5. I have always believed in a prayer filled life. I loved your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I most definitely believe in the power of prayer. God hears our prayers, and He does answer them...sometimes the answer isn't exactly what we thought it would be or should be, but it is always exactly what it is supposed to be. God knows best. I am not familiar with this man's story, but I believe God certainly had a purpose for saving his life...and this is a part of it...so that this story can continue to change lives. That's what prayer does...it changes lives. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers certainly make a difference!!!
    I'm praying for my son to trust in Jesus and be saved. I've been praying that for years and live with the faith that God will answer my prayer! I thank God every morning for another day. I 'talk' to God all day about every thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm praying for many things, and Yes, prayer makes a difference.....this I know. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - he has quite a story. Yes I pray, and yes, I believe it makes a diference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Johnny Cash saw some darkness in his life. Late in life he did covers of other musicians' songs that were so powerful and haunting they'd make the originals sound like a cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a gift for singing the obvious and making you realize it was right there the whole time.

      Delete
  11. Yes I do think that prayer makes a difference. I have had a miraculous healing and other healings through others praying for me. I have also been spoken to through the Scriptures as to what to do when things go wrong in my life, and there have been answers to my prayers when I have prayed for others.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God had a plan...it all happened for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like Depeche Mode e Dave Gahan songs. The last Gahan's album is very very beautiful.
    I went to a concert in Rome and it was great.
    I know his story and I am sure than the prayers made the differences for him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If Jesus stole away to pray we know that prayer is important and should be part of every believer's life. There is also much instruction in the Bible about praying. Prayer is an integral part of our spiritual life. I know I need to pray more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe in the power of prayer. I am making an effort to do more praying and less worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying is a sign of Faith. If we pray, it is because we believe there is Someone somewhere listening to our prayers and able and willing to respond.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete