Thursday, February 22, 2024

A Lopsided Fast

 

A few times I have fasted and known it was God's will. Some times it was me. I have fasted more in recent years. Not sure why, except that it seems right. 


Once:


The first time I ever fasted was in response to a need close to home.

A young woman I knew had given birth at her house. She was having a lot of complications afterwards, including an unexpected emotional and psychological response to (perhaps) the impact of it all. Her child was healthy. She was healthy, physically, but she needed healing all the same. Our body of believers took turns fasting and praying for a week. I was in the Sunday group. She came out of her fugue on Monday. Her healing continued for a long time. Her son is in his 30's by now.


Then:


I fasted on Yom Kippur. It was glorious. What can I say in words I can write on a page? I was called to it and welcomed when I arrived. Peace. That's what I can say in words. I did it wrong, though. It was my first time fasting on Yom Kippur and I did not know not to drink anything. So I skipped food but drank coffee like it was...coffee. God met me there, though. It was glorious. Peace. Funny, isn't it? A lopsided fast.


Now:


A few days ago I started what I thought would be a long fast. Mid-way through the Lord said to eat. He led me. He met me. It was glorious.


I think the point is to be led by God.

That's what I think.


Have you ever fasted?

Have you fasted and prayed at the same time? What happened next?



12 comments:

  1. I fast on Yom Kippur only , and pray the prayings that go with it.
    Yom Kippur is a unique day, the holiest day of the jewish year. Through fasting and praying people are looking for forgiveness and asking for a new start in the year to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sandi! I so agree with you about the point being to be led by God when it comes to fasting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have never fasted. But I must commend you for doing it!! I think each of us individually needs to have quiet time and listen to what God is telling them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope I have never fasted, praying I do daily but fasting never

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I have not fasted. Interesting your happenings tho.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a practicing Catholic I fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. I am a horrible faster and spend too much time thinking about how hungry I am :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandi from time to time I have fasted. Like you I wait for God to lead me. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Have a blessed weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandi, yes I have fasted in the past but do not do it any more. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry but I've never fasted. Hello, Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandi, yes I have fasted before, there are many types of fasts and I sooooo agree with you, it must be led of the Lord, the entire thing, the hows and whys and whens. I also think it needs to be a time of prayer of course as much as possible. My husband, he has always been led of the Lord to fast and pray on Thursdays.

    Have a sweet day! ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sandi, yes, I have fasted before some for spiritual purposes. The first time I did that I didn't do it 'perfectly' but God answered my prayers anyway. I was so happy. I need to do it again.

    ReplyDelete