Friday, February 23, 2024

Terrible

 

Basil sat sternly, which was unusual for him. 


"Tell me about the end of the world," he said.


Her heart was as heavy as lead. 

She was lead. Her thoughts were lead.


"Was it my people who did it?" Basil asked.


"We are all the same people," she said. "We all did it."


There was a great war. It took the lives, all of them, in one way or another. 


Some went underground, some above it, 

some stayed where they were while their hearts melted into ice. 

There was nothing left. 


"Surely, there must have been something left," he protested. 

"I mean, here we are in this land of milk and honey."


He saw hope. Basil the Saint of long ago. 

He who prayed and stared down Ivan the Terrible.


"You know, he didn't think he was terrible," 

Basil said and made her laugh.


He continued, "So what happened?"


She explained the war and the aftermath. 


"It had been going on for a long time. Men had forgotten God. All, many, had looked so far away that they could not even remember there had been a Creator. The war was fought in His absence. Bombs did not do this. All of this destruction was the result of turning away from Him. All of it.


Basil nodded. 


"And what happened next?"


"We saw God again. We saw Him!"


Basil nodded. 


It was hard for her to comprehend, 

but somehow everything falling away had turned out to be good.



23 comments:

  1. My Darling Sandi! I like your stories very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men had forgotten God ... and isn't that where we are today in a large part? I love the insight you give in your stories, Sandi. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandi, I answered your question on my post the best I could if you want to read it. I miss your dear posts, and must come back often to see them and visit with you.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very much like our days because man has forgotten God.
    Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me think of the bible verse that says all things work out for good for those who love God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very profound. When man forgets God, it is chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this gripping and thought provoking

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so dedicated to prayer for ALL men to see God. Exactly what this world is in need of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was great!! The farther we get away from God the worse it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The reason the world is in such a bad state is because people are distancing themselves from God.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reinharts rings a bell with me. We lived on the western half of the island of New Guinea, the Indonesian side.
    Your story is pushing me to read more about St. Basil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote more about him and a few little bits of stories like this if you search St. Basil on my blog. This: https://storiesofsimcha.blogspot.com/2018/12/st-basils-cathedral.html

      Delete
  12. the veil between God and man is so thin dear Sandi ,it can be look through only with insightful heart ,and more of us has lost them completely sadly
    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Sandi. "Men had forgotten God."

    Take care, and have a nice day, I hope it's pretty where you live, ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also see, that our beloved Lord does not have the first place in our minds. So we make war. Jesus is suffering once more, always. He opened the heaven for us ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandi, it says in the scriptures that in the end times many shall fall away from the faith, and it appears that is happening now. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep praying God's love to flow over this world, it is so sad to see how things continue to get worse

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I think everything comes Full Circle..Men forgetting God ... the end times are coming. Love your stories and your style.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. Life is a stage, and a cycle, and we are on "repeat". History repeats itself. Most importantly, may we seek Christ in the repeating of history, that's our only hope!

    ReplyDelete