Friday, March 3, 2023

Fast From Discouragement

 

Fast from discouragement and feast on hope. 

That's how this lovely saying goes. Thank you, Gretchen, for letting me borrow it.


I have hope. If I look around at our world I see turmoil, despair, all the troubles from which we run and hide. Do you see them too? I hope not. While I am staring at it I am interrupted by a still, small, powerful voice that says, simply, "Look up." And I see like a blind man who has never seen before. What is that bright light? Do you see it? I have hope that in a thousand tomorrows, or one, this great light will defeat the darkness. 


I heard a song this morning that sounds like how I feel.


This is "No Man's Land" by Mean Mary. What do you think she means?





Here I stand, in no man’s land, drear and stark and dead 

Contrariwise, these merry eyes, see blue skies overhead 

All is Bleak, so very bleak 

In this land of grim mystique 


Empty spaces, harsh places, send a wistful plea 

Like someone near, someone dear, calling out to me 

And the wind wails its desire 

And it’s hungry, hungry like a fire, like a wildfire 


CHORUS: 

I’m full of fight, here I stand 

I’m doing alright in No Man’s Land 


With Blinders gone, I look upon, this mystic land of strife 

This open door, to the ground floor, of rough and restless life 

I looked up at the sky once more 

Had it ever been so blue before – 


Birds fly, shadows rush by, there’s movement behind each stone 

I’m lonely in name only, for I’ve never been alone 

All the earth is fierce and alive 

And it’s hungry, hungry to thrive, to survive 


CHORUS 


Endless rocks, endless knocks, endless shifting sand 

The sun’s ablaze, no shady ways, but still, I understand 

I understand this No Man’s Land 



19 comments:

  1. A great song! Very actual and full of symbols for our lifes and souls and world's situation . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what that song means exactly. Having struggles now finding a new home - no one can agree. FRUSTRATING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, Chatty. I hope you find something soon.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure what it means either, but it doesn't sound like an easy place to be but still there's a glimmer of hope.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It surely will be a no man’s land if things continue to get worse and worse…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting lyrics, I enjoy the video very much. I would have to study the words more carefully to fully understand, or maybe it is just too early for my brain cells. We have to have hope for a better world, and I am trying hard each day to keep that hope alive, and keeping the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed the world looks harsh right now and negative. Perhaps it was always so. But then, there is beauty and hope for those who search and look for it. There is a lot of goodness in the world despite what we may perceive.

    Foremost in our mind, we should be guided by a deep trust that God is always in control.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ninety five percent of the time I have hope. And sometimes.... well, I know that day will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure about this word: Hope... Do we use it to feel better? What else can we do? I have no answers, but I always hesitate to use the word Hope. Even though I can understand why so many people find it helps them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loved the song dear Sandi specially the last para is completely what i feel
    i am blessed with gift of "foolishness" which makes it possible for me even in hardest times that no one can take away "hope" from my heart because it is all that i got in my heart which is house of "faith" in divine force invisible to visible eyes may be but powerfully illuminated before the sight of my soul :) thank you God bless you and all you love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting song. I think we are in no mans land, but we have hope for the future because we know the end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in his wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace." That is what immediately came to mind when you asked the question.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure most people would agree that the world is not in a good place at the moment. In my small way I do my best to help others and make it a little better.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. My all time favorite singer is Mean Mary, she has amazing music, I think she is trying to tell us this world is coming to an end, mankind is not very kind to the earth or each other in some places.
    Our belief in God is what will save us.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until now, I had the feeling I was the only one who'd ever heard of her, despite the millions of views she has. 😊

      Delete