Friday, September 6, 2024

Are You the Enemy?


2 Kings 6:15-23


When the servant of the man of God rose early in the morning and went out, behold, an army with horses and chariots was all around the city. 


And the servant said, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?” 


He said, “Do not be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”


Then Elisha prayed and said, “O LORD, please open his eyes that he may see.” 


So the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. And when the Syrians came down against him, Elisha prayed to the LORD and said, “Please strike this people with blindness.” 


So he struck them with blindness in accordance with the prayer of Elisha. And Elisha said to them, “This is not the way, and this is not the city. Follow me, and I will bring you to the man whom you seek.” And he led them to Samaria.

   

As soon as they entered Samaria, Elisha said, “O LORD, open the eyes of these men, that they may see.” 


So the LORD opened their eyes and they saw, and behold, they were in the midst of Samaria. As soon as the king of Israel saw them, he said to Elisha, “My father, shall I strike them down? Shall I strike them down?” 


He answered, “You shall not strike them down. Would you strike down those whom you have taken captive with your sword and with your bow? Set bread and water before them, that they may eat and drink and go to their master.” 


So he prepared for them a great feast, and when they had eaten and drunk, he sent them away, and they went to their master. And the Syrians did not come again on raids into the land of Israel.





God saved them and their enemies.




33 comments:

  1. This spoke to me. I feel like it is a good lesson for the next couple of months. God is in control no matter what and to try to be more forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Me too. Sometimes the bad guys don't know they are the bad guys. ;-) ha ha

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandi. The scriptures speak very much to us spiritually. We, as believers, are the 'Israel of God.' God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda. I am not sure I understand what you mean. I believe Christians are grafted into the vine, but Israel is the Jewish people. I do not believe we have replaced them. God bless you. Thank you for coming by and commenting.

      Delete
  3. A lot of lessons here. and just think of God's unseen helpers that are all around us but we cannot see. You were my bible devotional today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that whole story. Elisha's servant seeing the army of angels protecting them. The kindness of Israel to their enemies (and the enemies acknowledging it by not fighting anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only people would listen and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandi, it is in Galatians ch. 6 v.16 we are called the 'Israel of God'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandi, this is what Galatians ch. 6 v. 16 says - 'All who are united by faith alone to Jesus the Christ are the true Israel of God (Gal. 6:16).'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, does this mean Christians have replaced the Jews? I do not believe it does. Please study more about Replacement Theology and its errors. It will be eye-opening. God has not abandoned the Jewish people. Christians are grafted in. You have not been grafted in because you are Jewish. He still calls to the Jews. Some listen, some not yet, and He calls to the rest of the world. Some listen, others not yet.

      He did not say this on his own, but as high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation, and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one. John 11:51-52

      Delete
    2. I am Jewish Sandi, but it is because I am born again in the Spirit that has made me a part of the 'Israel of God'. It doesn't matter weather I was born a Jew or a Gentile it is my faith in Jesus Christ that makes me part of the Spiritual Israel of God.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Brenda.

      I also believe it is my faith in Jesus the brings me in and grafts me into Israel. I do not believe we have replaced the Jewish people, but I do not think you meant to say that now that I read your comments again.

      Delete
    4. To clarify: Jesus (Yeshua) is the Jewish Messiah who still calls to His people, the Jews. He also has now called Gentiles and here we are. Believers in Jesus know the Father (God). Our only salvation is in Jesus, Yeshua Ha Mashiach is how Messianic Jews may say His name. It means Jesus the Messiah.

      God bless you and keep you.

      Delete
    5. I apologize for any conflict here, Brenda. I do not mean to be harsh or in an incorrect or proud frame of mind. This is something close to my heart. ๐Ÿ’™ Jesus loves His people, the Jews, and also the Gentiles. He calls us both. He calls us and our enemies. He reaches out to the whole world.

      Delete
    6. No need for apology Sandi, Jesus definitely reaches out to the whole world, God sent Him as the Messiah to give the world access to eternal life. God bless.

      Delete
  8. Elisha is a wise man and a miracle worker who helped the nation in times of crisis and those in need.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How amazing was that revelation to that young man...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I wish that the urge to strike down our 'enemies' wasn't so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are to pray to have eyes to see God as bigger than any of our troubles, and bigger than ourselves. God has ALL of our needed resources... Thank you Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a true and precious story - the Lord's eye is always on any place and near all the souls..

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are some valuable lessons to be learned from this passage.

    ReplyDelete